Sunday, February 13, 2011

The wedding hairpiece

I spent the month of August in Idaho.
Some of the time I was at my mother's house, some of the time I was at my mother-in-law's house.

In both places I did some sort of wedding decorating, 3 receptions in all.
I did the flowers for one, the dessert table for another, and the decorations/dessert table for another.

And I had so much fun.

But my very VERY favorite thing I did was the hairpiece for one of the brides.
I have people ask me to do things like that all the time, but then never follow through.
But this time I pretty much made her follow through.
I really wanted to make a bridal hairpiece.

The bride was a bit surprised when I immediately pulled up an assortment of pictures of bridal hairpieces that I had been collecting for absolutely no reason.

Confession: I read wedding blogs. In fact, most of the blogs I follow are wedding blogs. And most of the pictures I save on my zotero are from weddings. I have no reason to do this. I am already married. I am not planning another wedding for myself or for anyone else, really. But I love wedding blogs.

the inspiration:
So, here were a few of her favorites:


By Twigs and Honey, seen here



By Twigs and Honey, seen here

By Twigs and Honey, seen here

By Twigs and Honey, seen here


the actual accessory:

As you can see, the bride really liked the chiffon flowers. And she LOVED the tulle netting on the first one.

But her reception decorations were a little more sassy than those hairpieces were.
Her shoes were these darling zebra-print stilettos.
So cute.



So I added in a little color.

The centers have little black metal bows, to give it a rockstar vibe.

All the materials were purchased at either Michael's or JoAnn's craft stores. Because those two stores were my only options in my remote part of Idaho. I just wish I could have used some of that big-weave veil netting.
You know which one I mean.
Like this
Does anyone know where to buy that?

My only regret is I didn't get a picture of it on the bride's head.
It looked great in her hair though. She had beautiful dark hair and it contrasted nicely.


I would love to do something like this again.
So ... if anyone knows someone getting married who wants a custom hair accessory,
let me know ;)

Here are a few of my absolute favorites, pictures I have collected for, once again, absolutely no reason:


By Twigs and Honey, seen here


How stunning is this unique veil? Seen here.


And I love this girl's headband. Made by Courtney at Doloris Petunia (ETSY) and seen here and more here.


And I love this one, but I think the wire part might be outside of my skill level. Seen here by Holly Heider Chapple Flowers LTD















1 comment:

  1. So cute! I absolutely love it! I'm with you on the wedding blogs. I am a devoted reader of many. There is nothing more gorgeous than a wedding.

    ReplyDelete