Friday, February 18, 2011

The Cake of the Month - January

January's cake was a triple layer chocolate cake with a chocolate mousse filling and caramel meringue buttercream frosting. Some of the caramel frosting was in between the layers, too.

But, unfortunately I have no pictures.

It was really good, but I think I could definitely make some improvements on it.
So it is going to go back in the lineup and you will see it again some other month.

Things I plan on changing:

1. The chocolate cake recipe. Next time, it will have cinnamon in it.

2. The caramel buttercream. I used Martha Stewart's recipe for the caramel swiss meringue buttercream. But I think I was too conservative while making the caramel and the flavor was too light. I might also buy some caramel ice cream topping to drizzle on it too.

3. The chocolate mousse filling. Actually, I don't plan on changing anything with this chocolate mousse filling. This stuff was frikkin' aMAZing. It was actually a pseudo-mousse (meaning it had no eggs in it), was super easy, was my own creation, and was so incredibly delicious that I devoured half of it before it even made it onto the cake. I just kept refilling my taste-tester bowl and exclaiming how good this stuff was.

So, you will definitely be seeing this cake sometime in the near future.

And when that happens I will tell you the recipe for my pseudo-mousse.

... or I might not. I might just put it on every single cake I ever make for the rest of my life and make you all wish you had the recipe for my super simple chocolate pseudo-mousse filling.

We'll see.



P.S. I will not be making a cake in February or March ... so the Cake of the Month won't really start until April.

No comments:

Post a Comment