Monday, March 22, 2010

Magnets




As I mentioned in my last post, I have a 17-month old child.

In my church we attend for three hours every sunday
but the childrens' class is only for those who are 18-months or older

which means once a week I have to keep my mobile little boy still
and my vocal little boy quiet ...
for three whole hours.

Every Sunday I come home from Church feeling like I have been run over by a semi-truck.

So I have been working on a few things to help keep him entertained.

The first thing I made were these magnets:


My son loves animals

and magnets

so I combined the two

plus, they stick to the chair in front of me
which makes them easy to clean up
and gives him a chance to stand
with something to distract him from his goal
of running wildly down the long hallways

I bought some 'super strong' ceramic magnets
and some of those marble thingys people put in the bottom of flower vases ...
i don't know what they are officially called ...
but I found them in the floral section of the craft store.

Then I hot glued them.
I globbed about three squirts of hot glue right onto the picture
put the marble on and pushed it down so all the glue would smooth out
then I cut around it,
trimmed it,
turned it over,
and glued on the magnet.

"Not Martha" on this site said to use a silicon sealer
but I couldn't find that so I used hot glue instead
and am satisfied with the results.

I only had two mishaps in the making of these magnets.
One was when my gun ran out of glue.
That magnet looked funny.

The other was when I accidently glued two fingers together because the magnet I was gluing on got too close to its neighbor and decided to attach itself to it at the last minute.
It got what it wanted, and I got burned.

I am having a problem now they are made, however.

When dropped on the tile floor
(or thrown, whatever)
the paper tears in half and the magnet is separated from the marble.

Anyone know how to prevent this?

1 comment:

  1. stay off the tile.
    or quit throwing Marshall's magnets! You're ruining all the fun, mom!

    ReplyDelete