Friday, March 4, 2011

Owl Nursery, pt.1



My big sister just had a beautiful baby girl.

She wanted and owl nursery,
and she wanted me to make it.

First she sent me pictures of an amalgamation of owl things she found inspiring.


Then we picked out the fabrics.

Then I started 'sketching' the design on the computer.
This is the initial design of her quilt.
Owls on a branch bordered by patchwork.

But, instead of solid blocks she wanted log cabin squares, like this:
which is, I must say, a beautiful quilt that, I believe, is available for purchase here


But that would mean that instead of a quilt that was originally bordered by 126 four-inch squares
I would be making a quilt that contains 126 two-inch squares each flanked by 6 one-inch strips.

Had I ever made a patchwork quilt before I would have known that at this request I was supposed to say, "Heck no!"

Not because it was necessarily above my sewing skills
(although it was rather disheartening how even the slightest crooked seam could mess up the whole quilt)
but because of the ironing.

Oh, the ironing

You have no idea the lengths I go to in my daily life to avoid ironing.

But I didn't know I was supposed to say that.
So as soon as I received the fabric, quilt assembly began.

I began cutting and sewing.
Thank goodness the ironing could be done while watching a movie.

And one month later, I got this:

126 blocks
That is 756 seams

and I had to iron after sewing each one.

But I think it was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. What a good sister you are. :) I can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete