Sunday, March 6, 2011

Owl Nursery pt. 2 - Bassinett Bumper


I wasn't expecting the quilt assembly to take so long
so I had to take a break and move on to a more pressing project:
the bumper for my sister's bassinett.

She and I both have the same bassinett -
beautiful hand-woven wicker bassinetts from Guatemala.



And they require custom-made bumpers.

This project only took me one day.

I cut two 8-inch wide strips of fabric, measured to the circumference of my bassinett.
Then I drew criss-crossing lines at 45 degree angles on one of them with a water-soluble quilting pencil.

Then, fitting my sewing machine with my trusty-dusty twin needle
and keeping the ribbons on the spool
sewed the ribbons onto the lines, trimming them off the spool as I trimmed off the threads.

Then I serged on the batting and sewed the two sides together.
Voila!


I also made a little owl charm that hangs on the bassinett.

My husband hates it.
He thinks it is creepy
and looks like it is on drugs


but I made it with my niece's baby brain in mind -
contrasting darks and lights
and some red because that is the first color she will be able to see.

My husband says it is the eyes.
But using the same size of buttons on the eyes just looked weird to me.

So, I am sorry, little niece, if it creeps you out too.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm sure your sweet niece will love the possibly creepy owl. Although, Z owns creepier toys, I must say. Okay. Now what do I have to do to get my hands on a Guatemalan bassinet?

    ReplyDelete